The Barter Blog
Barter Youth Academy Registration
May 11, 2018
Join the Barter Youth Academy as they embark on another summer of fun, music, and learning! Whether your student wants to flex their Comedy Improv muscles at the Virginia Highlands Festival, sing their hearts out in Schoolhouse Rock, dance down the yellow brick road in The Wizard of Oz, or create their own musical in Pre-Academy, BYA offers an amazing theatre experience for all ages.
BYA's summer workshops are an innovative six-week theatre education experience. BYA teaches students teamwork and creativity in a fun, fast-paced rehearsal environment. This summer, students will learn from BYA's professionally trained directors, choreographers, and music teachers while working together on a musical for their final demonstration. In Comedy Improv, students will master fast-paced improvisation games and show off their skills in a special performance at the Virginia Highlands Festival Youth Tent.
- Registration is open until June 10th. Financial aid is available until May 31st.
- Each workshop lasts 6 weeks, from the middle of June until the end of July (specific dates vary by class).
- Classes are available for Pre-Academy students (ages 5-7), Elementary students (rising 2nd-5th graders) and Middle School/High School students (rising 6th-12th graders).
- Pre-Academy students will devise a short musical demonstration in class with their instructor, with an emphasis on active learning and minimal material to memorize.
- Elementary students will perform "Schoolhouse Rock Live," and Middle/High students will perform "The Wizard of Oz" at their Demonstrations.
- The Comedy Improv program (for rising 6th-12th graders) has an exciting new Demonstration opportunity this summer: instead of a traditional Demo night performance, the classes will culminate with multiple performances at the Youth Tent of the Virginia Highlands Festival. Students will not only be experts in the improv games they demonstrate, they will also facilitate audience participation of these games.
Registration is now open for BYA workshops in Abingdon, Bristol, and Johnson City. To register, visit www.bartertheatre.com/education/bya or call the Barter Theatre Box Office at (276) 628-3991.